Wednesday 15 February 2017

A word on Hypothyroidism.

I've heard the same thing so many times from overweight people. "I have an underactive thyroid, that's why I'm obese and can't lose weight."
Some of the people who say this haven't even been tested. (This now makes me furious to the point of not interacting with those people at all) The ones who have, and are diagnosed with hypothyroidism are at higher risk of weight gain with difficulties in losing said weight, BUT it is so often used as an excuse that it makes me a bit angry.
The reason we are obese is because we consumed too much and moved too little. (edit: after more research, there are cases of people who do eat much less and move much more and still gain weight. This is a small percentage of cases) It's as simple as that. Right now, I'm in the period of waiting between tests to see if my function improves at all, and my next test includes an extra test for Hashimoto's Disease (update: test returned a positive result. I'm waiting on an appointment with an endocrinologist) I also have ovarian cysts, which have been linked to weight gain symptoms.

If my medical conditions have impacted on my weight loss, it is minimal. The more obvious symptoms of my hypothyroidism are the massive hair shedding and dry skin that plague me to the point of an ongoing joke between my boyfriend and I about me trying to keep his apartment warm with a layer of my hair.

There are other ways to stimulate metabolism whilst your thyroid is underactive, which include regular cardio exercise, eating small amounts often, and having a good sleep cycle. Alternatively, if you've moved past the subclinical (without symptoms) stage into hypothyroidism with obvious symptoms, your doctor will prescribe medication to normalise thyroid hormone production, which should sort stuff out nicely. I am not on thyroid medication and have been steadily losing weight now for over a year. (As of today, 22.3kg)

I urge anyone who suspects that their body isn't performing at its best to see your GP for a full health check, have blood tests and an ECG to determine overall health and wellbeing. It's something I do once a year as a matter of general maintenance. It's important to treat any underlying problems and be at your highest possible level of health whilst trying to lose weight, in order for your body to get the very most out of the effort you're putting in. It really does make the journey so much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment